Alerting with PagerDuty
Estimated time to read: 4 minutes
This page shows how to set up and use EraSearch alerting with PagerDuty.
PagerDuty and EraSearch integration benefits¶
- Notify on-call responders of alerts sent from EraSearch.
- Send custom alert details to PagerDuty, including names, descriptions, and queries.
How it works¶
In the EraSearch UI, you configure alert rules to send alerts to PagerDuty. Here's the general workflow for alerting:
- Data in EraSearch meets a configured threshold.
- EraSearch sends an event to the relevant PagerDuty service.
- EraSearch's event triggers a new incident on the PagerDuty service, or PagerDuty groups the event into an existing incident.
The steps below assume you have an EraCloud account. To set up an account, visit the getting started series.
If you need help with this integration, reach out to us at Era Software.
The sections below describe two ways to integrate a PagerDuty service with EraSearch.
Adding EraSearch to an existing PagerDuty service¶
- In PagerDuty, click the Services tab and then click the name of the service you want to configure.
- Click Integrations > Add an integration.
- Select the EraSearch integration and click Add to return to the integrations tab.
- Next to your new EraSearch integration, click the downward-facing arrow and copy the Integration Key. You'll use the key to configure EraSearch in the next section.
Creating a new PagerDuty service for EraSearch¶
- In PagerDuty, click the Services tab > New Service.
- Follow the steps in the UI, selecting the EraSearch integration in step 3.
- Click Create Service to view your new service and EraSearch integration.
- Copy the Integration Key. You'll use the key to configure EraSearch in the next section.
Follow the steps below to configure an alert rule in EraSearch and send alerts to PagerDuty.
Step 1: Configure the PagerDuty notification channel¶
EraSearch sends alerts to notification channels. To create a PagerDuty notification channel, sign in to your EraCloud account and follow these steps:
- In the sidebar, click and then click Channels > + Add channel.
- Configure your notification channel:
- For Name, give your notification channel a name, for example, PagerDuty logs service.
- For Type, select PagerDuty.
- For Service key, enter the integration key you got in the section above.
- Click Test channel to check your configuration and get a sample event in PagerDuty.
- Click Save channel.
Step 2: Configure an alert rule to send alerts to PagerDuty¶
Follow these steps to configure and test your alert rule:
- In the Alerts tab, click Rules > + Add rule.
Set the details for your alert rule:
For Name, give a name that'll appear in the alert notification.
Example: GET 404 errors.
For Desc., add details you want to include in the alert notification.
Example: Check backend services.
For Query, enter a query using Elasticsearch's query-string syntax.
Example: status:404 AND method:GET AND size:>3000.
Set the conditions for your alert rule by selecting items in the IF, WITHIN, and NOTIFY drop-downs.
- Click Save rule to enable the alert rule.
Note that you can click the megaphone icon to mute and unmute your alert rule in the UI.
How to uninstall¶
To remove PagerDuty from EraSearch:
- Go to your EraCloud account and click .
- Under Alert rules, reroute all alerts using the PagerDuty notification channel to a different channel.
- Under Notification channels, click the relevant PagerDuty notification channel.
- Click Remove channel.
Visit these pages for more on working with and exploring data in EraSearch: